Tuesday 28 January 2014

Which is the best phone? (for me)

People have different needs and constraints for their mobile devices. And the choice of apps significantly affects which one works best. I'm regularly commuting on public transport, listen to audio or read on the train/tube, need calendar, task and note taking apps at work and a few other odds and ends from time to time.

Rather than thinking about specs (dpi etc), I've had a think about what I use my devices for and which devices (and apps) have stood out for different usages:


Roughly in order of importance to me:


Email and diary management: this is important to me from a corporate and personal perspective. Using exchange for corporate email I like Samsung's conversation layout for mail (LG and windows mobile close behind- windows ability to have the selection box on the right or left is handy). For calendar I like Samsung's s-planner but overall prefer the digical app (over business calendar and several  other calendar apps).
BEST FOR ME: Note 3

How long the phone lasts before needing recharging: I need a phone that lasts me through the day so I can charge it over night. There are some phones that have struggled consistently to do this (xperia Z, S4...) and a couple that I don't get worried about (G2, HTC One, Note 3, G-flex). I prefer to have a mini usb charger than carry a spare battery as I can usually find a pc to hook into and I don't want to bother with a battery than is unique to one device.
BEST FOR ME: G2

Audio: I listen to podcasts, audio books, the iplayer and music quite a bit. Audio quality on head phones is very important to me and I like a decent external speaker. The best in class is without doubt the HTC One. NB for podcasts Pocketcasts is my clear winner app as it syncs so well over multiple devices and has a clean, functional user interface. (Also, on the G2 using the poweramp app increases the music audio volume).
BEST FOR ME: HTC One

Managing to-do's: having tried LOTS of task apps (any.do, jorte, astrid...) I've settled on 'business tasks' - it's ability to show tasks for specific categories on widgets, and syncing ability over multiple devices gives it the edge. The most practical phone for task management for my is a close run thing between the g2 (I can use it one handed) and the note 3 (handy when I have two hands free). The overall winner device wise is the G2.
BEST FOR ME: G2

Feel of the phone in the hand: People have personal preferences (and hand sizes!). The phones that have stood out to me when I hold them: the HTC One, the G2 (those buttons on the back are brilliant), the iphone 5 (so light!) and the Nexus 5 (how plastic cases should be done- similar to the nexus 7 2013 edition) and the g flex (bit large but the curved back makes it sit nicely in my hand and the buttons on the back help a lot). In contrast the Note 3 isn't quite the right size (needs to be bigger as it needs 2 handed usage- plus I'm not that keen on the Samsung home button or the menu & back buttons that only light up when you press them). 
BEST FOR ME: G2, HTC One and Nexus 5

Note taking: evernote and google keep are my main note taking apps for long and short notes respectively. I've enjoyed the evernote experience on most devices- but the ones standing out are the g flex, note 3, HTC One, G2 and iphone 5. So for note taking, because I need one and two handed usage I'll go for the G2. A decent keyboard is important for note taking (and more). This depends on the keyboard and how easy it is to hold the phone. The most comfortable combination for me is the g2 with swype (I prefer slightly over swiftkey. Samsung and LG have their own decent keyboards, with a dedicated number row- of the two the LG is better for me because you don't have to press a 'sym' key to get to the symbols).
BEST FOR ME: G2 

Web browsing: my preferred browser is Dolphin (fast, great for full screen, reflow, linking with other apps and a huge range of add ons). A close second is the HTC One's inbuilt browser which handles reflow better than any other phone I've used and has a couple if interesting, and useful lab features). My preferred device for web browsing is the g2- again it's large screen and one handed use giving it the edge over larger devices like the g flex and note 3.
BEST FOR ME: G2

Checking train, tube, bus times and navigation: for London citymapper is 'the' go to travel app for public transport (and is now on android as well as ios), rail planner live is fine for mainline. I need a device I can take out and look at easily and the winner is the G2- one handed use and size (and it always has battery life at the end of the day). The iphone size and better ui for travel apps gave it an edge over many devices and the Xperia Z's ability to use in the rain also a great feature. The G2's brightness outdoors also gives it an edge over other phones.
BEST FOR ME: G2

Social media: using facebook, linkedin, blogger (now), twitter... this goes to the g2 for the best all rounder since it has a large screen I can use one handed.
BEST FOR ME: G2 


Reading: I use Kindle, Kobo and Nook apps.  The HTC One has the sharpest display for reading but the g2 pips it because of the larger screen and volume buttons on the back which make page turns easier).
BEST FOR ME: G2 


Watching video: mostly youtube, and when I've got two hands available to use- the note 3 is the richest experience but it could do with a better speaker. The g flex is very good for for video but the colours & sharpness are better on the note 3.
BEST FOR ME: Note 3

Taking photos- G2: I like the HTC One's Zoe mode which is great for unpredictable moving shots. but the phone I've found most useful for taking photos is the g2. In part it's the 'dedicated' camera button on the back, in part the size of this phone means I tend to carry it around most places. I don't need the best quality, professional style photos- my photos get emailed or stored in the cloud for viewing online. So most camera phones are 'good enough'- the ones that get special mention for quality though are the g2 and the iphone 5 (the best all rounder for point and click in almost any situation). The note 3 is very good in light conditions (not quite so good in lower light)- but it's overall size makes it uncomfortable to use on the spur of the moment.
BEST FOR ME: G2 


I looked at the category winners afterwards and I was very surprised at how many categories the G2 was the winner. Now if only it had the HTC One's audio quality, the Xperia's waterproofing and the lightness of the iphone 5! (a stylus would be a nice to have, but not essential).






1 comment:

  1. Very good comparisons and a great review. Well done

    ReplyDelete